Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Mars Landing

Hello gingers! Today I will be talking about the mars landing and what it meant to me, because that's all this blog really is.

I did do this blog on ION right after it happened, and if you snoop around a bit you can find some other blogs on their where I talk about what the actual mars landing was and how it happened and such. I have written 80% exactly of the total content on there, and the only other contributor has only written 2 actual news posts. 3 of the other posts were updates, and self-promotion's and what not.

So I am pretty much the only person on there. So you should go over there and stuff, to read my words, and stuff. Thank you, and stuff.

Back on topic. Mars landing. If you do read ION and you've already read my posts on it, then you still might want to stick around. I still have some ground-breaking things to say.

After Curiosity landed safely, and they started things like press-conferences, they said that a lot that it wasn't about what they are accomplishing now, it was about what they were inspiring the youth of America to do later. And I can't necessarily say that it stuck with me, considering I have little or no desire to do that kind of stuff, but I did think it meant a lot to say that. It is true that I stayed up very late watching the live-stream and just waiting for that moment of success that was so unsure, and it is true that I cried watching mission control flip the f out when they got the message that it was safe. But it's not about what they did, it's that they did it.

Just like I tried when America won team gold in women's gymnastic's and when Gabby Douglas won gold in all-around. They made history. And it always chokes me up a bit.

They took something that seemed impossible, or seemed not likely, or that even had a smidge of doubt and they blew everybody's socks off. They inspired, they achieved, and they paved the way for further astonishment of the people to follow.

In a world that is full to the brim with problems, to find success is hard to do. And it's not luck either. The people in that mission control room, even this guy, and the people standing on that podium worked until they couldn't work anymore. They worked hard, and it payed off. They found success in what they do because they took the time to work up to it.

It's hard to wrap your head around. We flew this piece of metal 350 million miles across the universe, it underwent 3 major changes in it's system's in 20 minutes, it unleashed a supersonic parachute, it had a rocket powered descent, and throw a sky crane in there, and we landed it on mars safely at the exact place we needed it to land without any human control in the last 30 minutes. That's crazy. And this piece of metal is going to roam the surface of another planet, for at least the next 2 years looking for freaking aliens.

Well maybe not aliens par-say but evidence of life, evidence that life ever existed on Mars, and or evidence that life could live on Mars in the future. That is crazy.

And we were able to send pictures. PICTURES, back to Earth another 350 million miles that we could look at and freak out over. That is just insane.

And 8 years of hard, tedious work went into us being able to tweet pictures and blog about how astonishing this all is.

So, 'Merica frick yeah.

I also think you should tip your hats to the men and women who worked their butts off for 8 years to make it happen. Thank you NASA Jet Propulsion Lab. You rock.

And to the youth of America being inspired. You guys rock too. Just a thank you in advance for all the amazing things you are going to do one day. Just so I can feel good about the country I live in, and think about how far we've come as human's in general. Thanks humans. You rock most of all.

Keep On Working Hard,
Rachael The Ginger

2 comments:

  1. Damn rachael, I have always known that you were smart...but didn't think you had that much info to bring to the table. You got so much passion and intelligence stuffed into this daily blog and it's all masked by a undermetering blog name where people won't take you seriously. I'm telling, your gonna go places and your going to accomplish a hell of a lot. You blew me away and you got yourself a fan!
    -Brian Lockwood

    ReplyDelete