Sunday, August 12, 2012

High School Stress

Hello gingers! This is going to be long and ramble-y.

So I was thinking about the wide disagreement about high school today. You either loved high school and thought it was the best years of your life, or you hated high school with a passion and you wanted it to go die in a hole.

First side: Basically every adult you know personally. They'll all say, "These are the best years of your life!" But I mean, that's a lot of pressure to put on a teen. 4 years is not that long of a time and that's a lot of expectation you're putting on people. And I mean, really? I just can't wrap my head around this really being the best years of my life. Because that's a really young age. You've got at least a couple more decades of your entire life to be the best years of your life.

Second side: I remember watching a vlogbrother's video once and Hank Green was talking about how there was a lot of pressure on him as well to have high school be the best years of his life. And in the video he talks about he basically said "this better not be the best years of my life because this sucks" He said that it gets better after high school.

So I don't know what to believe.

Everybody is throwing things at us, trying to give us advice. But it's not helping much.

I feel like that's why we are trying to impress people in high school. It's because these are supposed to be the best years of our lives so we better make sure everyone we were around is aware of that. I'm trying to look good. I'm trying to be cool. Because I want to make a good start on the next 4 years.

It's all very stressful and I'm tired of being worried about it. I'm tired of being scared of what's to come. So we have to venture into this unknown, if it's high school or whatever.

Everybody wants to be the best, but I've been trying to tell myself and ask myself if in 10 years this is even going to matter. Is it really going to matter what we wore on the first day. Is it really going to matter what kind of grades we got or what kind of classes we took. What is going to matter?

It is true that I want high school to be an adventure and be fun and be amazing. But I don't want it to be the end all overall of my entire life. High school is stupid.

But it's supposed to be amazing, and I want to make something amazing out of it.

But I'm nervous. It's hard not to be. So I need to get back to deciding if I should wear a batman tee or a nice dress shirt.

When you step into your kindergarten classroom, you're not thinking of this result. When you step into middle school, you might be thinking about it a little. But now it's happening. And I don't know how to handle myself.

But I'll be back tomorrow, telling my tales of the first day of the rest of my life.

Telling the story, of my first day of high school.

-Rachael The Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment