Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11

Hello. Today is the 11th anniversary of 9/11, the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in New York City, New York.

I've been thinking a lot about how I was going to write this blog, because there are so many things you could say. It's been hard to cognitively group together words to communicate my feelings about today.

Today is a day where we slowly take a look back, and then look toward the future ahead of us.

First of all, I want us to keep the families, and men and women who lost their lives 11 years ago in our thoughts today. I want us all to think about all the men and women who sacrificed their lives in trying to help.

If we remember anything from a day like today, it should be the people who suffered from this tragic event.

I cannot remember a single thing from that day. I had just turned 3, and I don't even think I knew there was something wrong. But I have heard the stories. And I have heard all the heartbreak.

But it is not until today, 11 years later, that I have actually put stories to footage, and what actually happened. It wasn't until today, that I understood the complete impact of this event.

And it's hard. Let me tell you, it's hard. It's crazy to think about how vulnerable you really are in this world. With all the wars, and all the death, it's hard to think about how insignificant you are.

One of the most interesting parts of this whole day when it comes around, is everyone telling the stories of what they were doing that day. People can remember so vividly. They can remember the entire day, because of how shocking it was.

And I was just 3, and I had no idea what was going on.

But today, we remember. We remember the lives we lost, and we remember that day. Never forget.

9/11 brings out the best and the worst of us I think. We stand united as a country today, because we all stood together 11 years ago. But then it harshly reminds us of the work that's still being done to try to mend our wounds. We think about the people who committed the crime, instead of the victims.

Visiting the memorial was a little surreal. Looking at name, after name. And I remember specifically standing with my friends Shelby and Makena and talking about the possibility of having our future changed by 9/11. Maybe I would've met somebody on that wall if it wasn't for 9/11. Maybe our paths could have been crossed.

As people, we are strong. As a nation, we are stronger. And if we can remember that when the days seem bleak, we will make it through the darkest nights. And that's what 9/11 showed us.

As my socials studies teacher put it, we lost innocence. And in a world that's getting smaller and smaller, trust is hard to come by. But every year if we learn to trust just a bit more, we will recover. And we will be strong through the darkest point.

Let's not make this about politics. Let's make this about rebuilding trust.

Let's remember, and grow together.

-Rachael Robinson

No comments:

Post a Comment